Important notes and usage information
- The number of deaths registered in England and Wales in the week ending 26 March 2021 (Week 12) was 10,045; this was 266 fewer deaths than the previous week (Week 11).
- In Week 12, the number of deaths registered in England and Wales was 5.0% below the five-year average (528 fewer deaths); this is the third consecutive week that deaths have been below the five-year average.
- Of the deaths registered in Week 12 in England and Wales, 719 mentioned “novel coronavirus (COVID-19)”, a decrease of 244 deaths compared with Week 11.
- In Week 12, deaths involving COVID-19 accounted for 7.2% of all deaths in England and Wales, compared with 9.3% in Week 11.
- Of the 719 deaths involving COVID-19 in Week 12 in England and Wales, 535 had this recorded as the underlying cause of death (74.4%).
- Of the 1,464 deaths that involved Influenza and Pneumonia, 293 had this recorded as the underlying cause of death (20.0%).
- In England, the total number of registered deaths decreased from 9,673 (Week 11) to 9,381 (Week 12), which was the third consecutive week that deaths in England were below the five-year average (4.7% below).
- In Week 12, the number of deaths registered involving COVID-19 decreased in all English regions compared with Week 11, with the largest decreases recorded in the East of England and Yorkshire and The Humber (44 fewer deaths each).
- In Wales, the total number of deaths registered increased from 621 (Week 11) to 651 (Week 12); this was the first increase in total deaths since Week 7, however, total deaths remained below the five-year average for a fourth consecutive week (3.8% below).
- In Wales, the number of deaths registered involving COVID-19 decreased from 49 (Week 11) to 32 (Week 12).
- We estimate that the number of deaths actually occurring (rather than registered) in Week 12 in England and Wales was between 8,423 and 10,388.
- The number of deaths registered in the UK in the week ending 26 March 2021 was 11,439, which was 574 fewer than the five-year average; of deaths registered in the UK in Week 12, 799 deaths involved COVID-19 (245 lower than in Week 11).
This table includes provisional counts of the number of deaths registered in England and Wales, by age, sex and region, in the latest weeks for which data are available. Includes the most up-to-date figures available for deaths involving the coronavirus (COVID-19).
For information on data quality, legislation and procedures relating to mortality statistics, please see our User guide to mortality statistics.
For mortality data for other UK countries please see statistics on deaths in Scotland and statistics on deaths in Northern Ireland.