In 2003, a strategic review of the future requirements for population information and alternative ways of gathering it, confirmed that there was an ongoing need for high quality census information, and that the requirements could only be met by a traditional census in 2011. No alternative source would provide the quality of data required.
To accompany the review ONS produced a number of supporting document.
The 2011 Census was taken on 27 March 2011. View the full catalogue of 2011 Census outputs.
- User requirements report (324.8 kB pdf)
- Alternatives to a census: Rolling census (238.9 kB pdf)
- Alternatives to a census: Linkage of available sources (235.0 kB pdf)
- Alternatives to a census: Review of international approaches (187.0 kB pdf)
- Alternatives to a census: Review of previous UK studies (102.2 kB pdf)